Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Response to Arielle's Post 11/14/11

I really enjoyed Arielle's post about change, or lack thereof in our world.  Her post made me think of a unit I'm working on for another class.  My unit is focused on civic responsibility, which relates well to Arielle's post.  The books my students will be reading all deal with issues of women’s rights in foreign countries, including but not limited to arranged marriage, child sex trade, and many more.  One thing I want my students to walk away with is the notion that no matter how far away a problem may seem, or how big of an issue it may be to tackle, they can help.  I think that most of society thinks unless their completely solving the problem, they can’t make a difference.  However, the smallest action can result in something life changing for the person who's receiving the help.  The final piece to my unit is going to be the students setting up and running a "Women Around the World Awareness Week."  My students will be hanging up posters and flyers of facts they learned through the class, and the books they read.  They will also set up some sort of fundraising project, and all the money raised will go to a foundation that sponsors young girls in third-world countries to go to school.  I want my students, and the school for that matter, to realize that change or making a difference can be as simple as selling a cupcake, no one’s asking them to change the world.  Arielle brought up great points in her blog that really speak to how society looks at change; it seems that change is looked at as something difficult, something that is usually unattainable.  We all need to realize that change is attainable, and that what may seem like the smallest contribution could lead to the biggest reward to the people who need it most. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGXd4TUEMc

No comments:

Post a Comment